A Complete Guide to help you Survive the Zombie Apocalypse
Sure, it’s fun to think about all the “what if” situations in context, and what you should do if a Zombie Apocalypse were to actually happen, but what if it really did happen? What would happen? What would you do? What would you carry to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
Why Zombie Apocalypse Survival Is Important
Realistically, there is a low chance of an actual Zombie Apocalypse really happening in the way the media, movies specifically, portray it.
“I find it highly unlikely the dead will suddenly become animated and begin to attack humans with cannibalistic ferocity and a highly infectious plague”, says Kyle Bishop, author of the bestselling book, American Zombie Gothic.
Joe McKinney, author of Dead City, Apocalypse of the Dead and The Zombie King, seems to think that a Zombie Apocalypse, as most people think of it could really happen. He states, “The first and most likely way would be through some kind of biological vector, like a brain parasite or some variant of Mad Cow Disease. Lots of diseases manifest themselves through symptoms that make the infected person behave like a zombie, complete with the shuffling walk and unfocused aggressive tendencies. With only a small antigenic drift one of those diseases could give us a real-life zombie apocalypse.”
The Zombie Apocalypse Won’t Happen Overnight
Many people are scared that a zombie apocalypse will suddenly manifest overnight, which, unless it could somehow be manufactured by humans and distributed into the air globally somehow, just isn’t very likely. It would be more realistic to think that such a pandemic would be started in a very localized region before spreading. We have seen viruses and diseases begin this way through history.
- In 1545, over 8,000 children died from the small pox, pretty much localized in Goa, India.
- In 1679, small pox again, decimates the North American Iroquois nation.
- Most people have heard of the “Black Death”. From 1341 to 1347, an estimated 75 million people died from the plague. Put that in the context of zombies as the media portrays them, pretty scary, huh?
- Last example is HIV/AIDS. Localized to Cameroon initially and classified as a disease in 1981, AIDS caught the world’s attention as the disease rapidly spread across every continent. As of 2011 at least 60 million people had been infected by AIDS and 25 million had died. When you again, put that in the context of a Zombie Apocalypse, and the spread of a virus or disease, the possibility of a Zombie Apocalypse becomes a lot more real.
The point is that all of these pandemic cases did not just happen overnight. They started off as isolated cases, and then spread at an accelerating rate as more and more people fell to sickness.
The Zombie Apocalypse will happen in much the same way, experts believe. It is highly probable that it would follow the same pattern as other pandemics because the virus, bacteria or disease that could cause a Zombie Apocalypse would likely have a similar spread and infection pattern as the others.
If the Apocalypse were to actually happen, one variable that is unknown is whether a carrier (Zombie) could infect another individual and how easy it would be to get infected. If the disease could be contracted by simply touching an item that the Zombie touched, the pandemic would spread like lightning. If it had to be passed via bodily fluid, you could expect the same infection patterns as AIDS. If the Zombie virus were to be something airborne, however… well, pray that there’s no wind because that kind of virus could travel across the world within weeks, not years.
How To Survive the Zombie Apocalypse
As with any sickness, there are Two Overarching ways a disease can spread:
- Direct Contact
- Indirect Contact
Direct contact is simple. You have to come in contact with the entity (A Zombie) that carries the sickness in some way:
- Physical Contact
- Droplet Contact (Sneezing or expectorating, for example)
Indirect Contact is much scarier, and has been primarily the source for most Zombie Movies:
- Airborne Virus that is contracted by all entities that breathe air
- Waterborne/Foodborne – We all need water to survive. It would be possible for the infection to spread to every entity that consumes water, or could be carried within certain foods that meet the requirements to actively carry the disease.
- Residual Contact (touching an object that is infected or wearing contaminated clothes, for example)
Having said that, you have three main ways to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse
- If it is a direct contact Zombie Apocalypse, Look for the most remote place on earth that can sustain life. This place should be virtually inaccessible and can sustain life indefinitely (at least until the Zombies all died off and the infection either went into remission or completely vanished somehow presumably).
- In an Indirect Contact type of Zombie Apocalypse, you’re better off relying on foods that date before the contamination period — This is where many survivalists found their beliefs in stockpiling and having resources available that are trustworthy. You also will need specific gear and equipment according to the type and severity of the ease and rate of infection. If it’s airborne, you better have a air filtration unit that can effectively decontaminate the air you’re breathing! If it’s waterborne, then you may need more than that Sawyer Water Filtration System to clean it out!
- If the contaminants are mobile (Like Zombies in Resident Evil), you need something that can stop them dead in their tracks at range so they have no chance of passing the virus on to you.
The Zombies Aren’t Your Only Worry
This is a SHTF moment. People will be panicking, there’s going to be a breakdown in law, traffic jams, riots and tons of violence at the very least.
The Prepper and Survivalist communities will feel vindicated, and you’d better believe that there’s going to be more guns around than ever before!
In any situation above, it is best to “Bug Out” to a remote location where civil unrest and violence are a much smaller factor.
To Survive the Zombie Apocalypse you will not only have to survive zombies…but your fellow humans as well.
We really hope you enjoyed this guest post as much as we did and now have a better plan to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse. If you are interested in writing for us check out our Contact Us page and send us an email.